It’s been a strange week.
Not necessarily bad, just off. I didn’t feel great for most of it thanks to some lady issues, and the hormones resulting from that put me in a bit of a funk.
But now I’m slipping out of it and focusing on next week. I’ve got big plans for next week. Plans to not wallow and feel off center. Plans to follow a schedule, write study, research, and smile.
That’s the goal anyway.
Even though this week was more on the “meh” side, I still wanted to find the good. I wanted to pay attention to the small great things that transpired this week.
So, I’m back with another edition of Feel Good Friday. And go ahead and get used to them, because I think I’ll keep them around.
Here we go. Ten things that lightened my life this week.
1. Planning a bomb-ass vacation. As many of you know, I turn 30 in June. And it’s been a long time since our family has taken a vacation together. So, I planned one for the week after my birthday. We’re renting a house in Mexico for 5 glorious days of (hopefully) sunny weather and beautiful seas. I CAN’T WAITTTT!!
2. Getting a new book in the mail. My funk kept me inside most of this week, but I was desperate to get my hands on I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara. Michelle was a gifted journalist hell-bent on uncovering the truth behind the Golden State Killer, a serial rapist turned murderer who terrorized California in the 1970s and 80s. When Mom and I drove to Canada last year, we listened to a true crimes podcast that highlighted this wacko. We didn’t sleep for a couple of nights. Bring on terrified insomnia!
3. My writing group’s weekly meeting. Ahh... I love my Hive. We met last night and as always, I was blown away by the brilliant women sitting at the table. Their empathetic ears and spot-on advice is always a welcome balm to my erratic mind. And hearing their stories of strength and perseverance is inspiring. Not to mention, it is so fun for me to watch their projects grow from week to week.
4. Making Plans. As I mentioned above, I took some time yesterday to map out what I want my week to look like come Monday. I’ve definitely noticed I’m the type of person that needs a plan. Without one, I tend to float aimlessly through life, not really accomplishing much. I got my planner out, some colorful pens, and wrote down what I wish to accomplish next week. Blogging, working on book 2, something cooking on the nursing front. It’s going to be a full week, but I’m excited and feeling calm. Making a plan does that for me.
5. The joy of no plans. Ha! Kelly, what? I know what you’re thinking, this girl is drunk. But hear me out. The happiness of this realization pertains to this weekend. Is it just me, or sometimes is it not downright glorious to have NO PLANS. I can starfish in bed all day. I can watch 18 episodes of The Great British Bake Off. I can get gussied up and head out to a nice dinner. I can stay in. I can do whatever the eff I want, and the freedom in that is quite lovely if you ask me.
6. Spending time with a squishy baby. This week, I helped out my friend Lindsay and spent a whole day with her little one, Eleanor, or Ellie. We had a fun day reading books, playing in her ball pit, going for a walk and relaxing outdoors. She’s such a good baby, and while I was tired at the end of the day (you go Moms!), I was more so happy and upbeat.
7. Getting together with friends for wine, err, I mean book club. Since Jimmy and I were displaced from our house for 6 weeks with the water leak, book club was put on hold for a couple of months. But we got back together this week to pick our next book and celebrate Paige and Hadley’s birthdays! Of course, there were plenty of laughs and a lot of catching up to do. Our next book is The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. We were all a little surprised (and maybe a bit embarrassed) that none of us have read it. Well, time to fix that!
8. A fun song to dance around to. I love Bruno Mars, and I don’t care who knows it. I mean, every song he releases sends my white girl dance moves into overdrive. If I could have 3 genie wishes, I would seriously consider using one to ask for Bruno Mars’ dancing abilities. Then I’d dance everywhere. All the time. Ok, byeeeee.
9. Afternoon naps. Damn. I’m not normally a napper, but this week I took multiple afternoon naps. I mean I didn’t slip into a coma for 4 hours, just a light slumber for say, 2. Besides the slight guilt that accompanied my waking, the sleep was needed and welcomed. That is all.
10. Discovering a new, easy recipe. It was close to 6:30 pm once I got home from Lindsay’s house, and I didn’t much feel like cooking. But, I hate wasting food, and I needed to cook some chicken I had in the fridge before it went bad. This chicken thigh recipe was quick, easy and really tasty. The time they spend baking gives you the opportunity to whip up some sides, as well. Try it out, hope you enjoy!
How was your week? What made you smile yesterday? Today? Let me know!
Until next time,